About our Yoga Taster Sessions
Hello I’m Carla. I have had a yoga practice for just over 20 years. I am a certified Yoga Alliance teacher and one of 200 teachers in the country to have trained in Yoga4Health with the Yoga in Healthcare Alliance. I am a trauma sensitive trained teacher and endeavour that the yoga space is as welcoming as possible for all.
Yoga for me has been a useful tool for navigating the twists and turns of life. I believe it is important to recognise how yoga practice affects how you feel on the inside, it is not just about being able to touch your toes, in fact you do not need to be able to touch your toes to take part. I see it as a mindbody system which unites our mind, body and heart/beliefs.
There are many parts to a yoga practice, yes there is the physical aspect of stretching, strengthening and improving mobility however we will also be looking at our breath with simple breath practices, using mindfulness to become more aware in the present moment and guided meditation practices. There is always a chance to relax at the end .
All of the above help in re-connecting to our bodies, becoming more embodied in our self and re-connecting to our life and the life around us.
Science has shown that a regular yoga practice can help produce feelings of calm and relaxation. It can help us in managing our mental health and physical health. Listed below are some of the benefits yoga can bring:
• Regulates stress hormones helping to manage feelings of stress.
• Increases our ability to tolerate uncomfortable feelings and sensations.
• Becoming more attuned to the body.
• Helps regulate breath.
• Improves sleep.
• Can help foster compassion for yourself and others.
• Strengthens sense of self.
• Helps build self regulation tools.
• Helps you feel more grounded in the moment rather than ‘living in our heads’.
• Can help you pause and consider before acting therefore space to make healthier decisions for
• Being part of a community.
• It can be adapted to meet the needs of everyone regardless of age or ability.
• Physical health benefits for type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, pain, back pain and
strengthens immune system.
• Self enquiry, getting to know yourself better.
• Helps in bringing awareness to our patterns of behaviour, why we do the things we do.
Book on Now! - Taster Sessions
What if I Like it, Can I do it Again?
If you try the taster session and really enjoy it, you will find out about how you can access further yoga sessions.
What's the price?
Completely Free! If you would like to make a donation to Invictus Wellbeing so that we can continue to offer young people free mental health support, projects and activities, you can donate here.
Do I need to bring anything?
No, we will provide all equipment that you need.
How do I get there?
Location TBC, if you need some assistance in getting there, please get in touch.
Can I come with a friend?
Yes you can but please make sure they have also booked on using the form above. One booking needs to be made for each participant.
What is the age range?
Age ranges are described as above. We have 2 sessions for 8-12 year olds and 3 sessions for 12-17 year olds.
Will I be forced to do anything?
No! Is the simple answer to that question. We always want to push you to do your best and get out of your comfort zone but we'll never force you to do something you can't. We do, however, expect you to challenge yourself and get involved to the best of your abilities.